"AAH is not just another NGO. AAH works hand-in-hand with the locals to help advance projects which can lead to transformation in the communities. Working with the founders who know the area and are respected by local leaders as change makers compels the local communities to safeguard AAH's investment."
Joyce Wanda, Co-founder
The Arlington Academy of Hope, US, (AAH US) partners with communities in rural eastern Uganda to improve the quality of their daily life and realize their future potential through improved education, healthcare, and community development.
AJS delivers not only hope for a better future but also results. For 13 consecutive years, 100% of AJS students have passed the Primary Leaving Exam (PLE), the national exam taken by all Ugandan students at the end of primary school. As a result, every AJS student has advanced to secondary school – a striking contrast to other local children.
By engaging a community of caring volunteers and committed professionals, AAH’s educational, healthcare, and vocational programs transform impoverished villages into vibrant, self-sustaining communities.
Specifically, we seek to:
- Develop sustainable educational and healthcare models for local communities.
- Set high standards of academic excellence and prepare the children for adult lives that strengthen both their communities and the world.
- Support our students as they progress to higher levels of learning and professional careers.
- Establish clinics and community health programs that provide access to modern health care, medicines, and a higher quality of life.
- Encourage our AAH outreach villages to employ technology, building, and farming techniques that increase environmental awareness and stewardship.
- Foster greater cultural understanding on local, national and international levels through shared learning experiences.
Respect: We practice and teach respect for people, culture, gender, health status, and the environment.
Partnership: We partner with others within and across our communities, as well as with our sponsors and donors.
Integrity: We practice and teach integrity in our programs, funding, and communities.
Transformation: We work to transform the future of our communities, as we ourselves transform to better serve all our partners.
Community Engagement: We set priorities and build progress collaboratively in Africa and around the globe to engage communities by raising awareness and involvement.
Sustainability: We ensure the future health of our programs and their participants, as well as the surrounding natural environment.
I was amazed by the student's dedication to education. I could see how much the students value going to school. Education in Uganda is not a given like it is in the United States, and the students treat going to school as a privilege. I was so impressed by their work ethic and respect for their teachers.
It was really great being in a different environment, not knowing my fellow volunteers or the people we were meeting. It took me out of my comfort zone and made me open more when I came back to the States.